Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution
The promotion advancement of science, literature and art
The original site of the Institution was Terrace Walk, by Parade Gardens. It replaced the Lower Assembly Rooms (Harrisons) which was burnt down in 1820.
Founded in the 7th Century, Glastonbury Abbey became one of the wealthiest and most powerful in the land by the mid-late mediaeval period. An “Engraving of a seal of the Abbey of Glaston” in the British Museum’s collection, identical to this wax impression, is dated 1536. This seal may have been in use for much longer.