- Join / Support
- Log In
- Room Hire
- Member's Area
- Youth Activities
- Local Studies
Richard Phillips B.Sc., M.Sc.,FRAS, William Herschel Society, on 5 April 2002
Using a laptop computer with its display projected on a screen and connected to the Internet, the speaker took the audience surfing. He divided the sites into nine classifications that would interest people from those with a casual interest in astronomy to the more active amateur observer.
• Pictures from major observatories - Hubble Space Telescope and `Astronomical Picture of the Day', etc.
• Astronomical magazines accessible through the Internet.
• Information on modern big telescopes including access to robotic telescopes via the Internet.
• Local suppliers of astronomical telescopes and equipment.
• Observing aids - sites giving up-to-date information on aurorae, comets, space weather etc.
• Links to sites dealing with spaceflight - NASA, International Space Station transit forecasts etc.
• Organisations such as the BAA, IAU Central Bureau, Royal Observatory Greenwich.
• Television, radio programme sites dealing with astronomy.
• Access to UCL Library Resources which links with many other astronomical Internet sites not covered in the demonstration.
Some members of the audience suggested sites which they enjoyed and these were explored.
Following the demonstration, the speaker sent a copy of the links he had compiled, by e-mail, to those who had Internet access and were interested in receiving them:
Anglo-Australian Observatory astronomical images - www.aao.gov.au/images
Hubble site - http://hubble.stsci.edu
Astronomy Picture of the Day
ESA Science SOHO
Sky and Telescope magazine — home page
Astronomy Now home page www.astronomynow.com/
03 Telescopes - robotic
Space Today Online - Deep Space Astronomy Telescopes — Nassau Astronomical Station
Space Today Online - Deep Space Astronomy Telescopes — Nassau Astronomical Stationhttp://www.spacetoday.org/DeepSpace/
bradford -robotic -telescope
mike otis remote robotic cyber space telescope modern astronomy sky links otm observatory techn
Gemini Observatory Web site www.ast.cam.ac.uk/Gemini
Hubble Space Telescope European Coordinating Facility
scs astro - telescopes, binoculars, ccd cameras & weather stations - www.scsastro.co.uk
05 Observing aids
Comets currently visible
ESO online digitised sky survey
Hipparcos Catalogue Plot
Your Sky - www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/
Aurora Watch UK--www.aurorawatch.york.ac.uk
SpaceWeather.com — News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids - www.spaceweather.com
NASA human space flight - http://spaceflight.nasa.com
Human Space Flight (HSF) - realtime data
The Hipparcos Space Astrometry Mission
AAVSO - American Association Of Variable Star Observers - www.asvso.org
Wiruna - The ASNSW's Dark-Sky Observing Site - www.asnsw.com/wiruna/
British Astronomical Association home page www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~baa/
IAU Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
The Royal Observatory Greenwich
BBC - Final Frontier
UCL Library Astronomy Internet resources
Analytical Graphics Inc., creators of Satellite Tool Kit, software for the Aerospace Industry - www.stk.com